Saturday, February 6, 2010

One's Stuff



It's really quite amazing the variety of stuff one can accumulate over the years. I've been thinking about that lately as I go through the condo room by room, drawer by drawer, and decide what goes with me to Florida, what stays in New Hampshire for a June pick up, what goes with the auction guy, and what gets thrown out. Sometimes the decisions are not as easy as you might think.

For example, what should I do with the three homemade score sheets from three different Celtics games circa 1960? I found them in a little-used drawer today and marveled at the names and the memories they evoked. Here's a little trip down memory lane for you old time NBA fans: Hal Greer, Al Bianchi, Dick Barnett, Dolph Schayes, Paul Arizin...not to mention Celtics like Gene Guerillia, Frank Ramsey, and Jim Luscotoff. I used to listen to the old Celtics' broadcasts on radio (WHDH) and keep score in bed using my own system of circles and x's and lines. Just looking at those surprisingly well-preserved pieces of 50-year-old notebook paper, I can hear Johnny Most's ridiculous growl and I can see Bill Russell's graceful leap as he plucks yet another rebound from the grasp of the hated Wilt the Stilt. These papers are definitely going with me. They are unassailable proof that there once was a time in my life when the Celts' winning or losing was all I really had to worry about.

In the same drawer were three Masterlock combination locks, the three-number codes long since forgotten. What did I own of such value that necessitated the purchase of these anti-theft devices? Why did I need three of them? Did I forget the combination to the first one which necessitated buying a second one? Then did I forget the combination to the second one which necessitated buying a third one? How long did this process take? Is there a locker somewhere in the greater Boston area which contains all the "valuable" possessions that these three locks were supposed to protect? Now that I think of it, I've never been robbed of anything, ever. The only significant financial loss I've ever suffered has been the cost of three Masterlock combination locks. Out they go!

Here's a snow-day calling list from Hingham's South Junior High School, circa 1980. I wonder how many of these phone numbers are still valid? (If you feel like it, say that last sentence like Andy Rooney.) One of the few drawbacks to being a retired teacher is you lose the thrill and drama associated with snow days. Basically, when you're retired, every day is a snow day. It just doesn't have the same juice. Anyway, I'm moving to the Florida panhandle. What do they know about snow days? Out goes the Hingham calling list.

In the bottom of another drawer I find a tool. Normally, I would keep any tool I happen to find on the odd chance that one day I will become handy; however, this tool is a mystery tool with no obvious purpose. It is plastic, about the size of a fork with a kind of notch on one end and a curvy piece on the other end. There must have been a time in my life when I used this tool to accomplish something, or, more likely, when I tried to use this tool, got frustrated, and stuck it in the bottom of this drawer. I can only assume that whatever didn't get fixed didn't really have to get fixed...

...or, its unrepaired remains lie in the bottom of some other drawer, yet to be discovered.

The tool is out and whatever was broken will be out too if I ever find it.

Finally, here is a day planner from several years ago. Most of the spaces are blank. The few that are filled in have nothing more than a tee time noted. I could keep this and hope that a year is soon coming which matches up with the days and dates of this book. Of course a leap year may pop up unexpectedly which will make waiting for the years to match interminable. I think I will just toss this planner and continue with my time-tested strategy of never having a day that necessitates the use of a day planner.

So much stuff.

Love to all,
J

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just wondering if the rejected plastic tool thing could be a disposible lobster tool from McSeafood or Kentucky Fried Lobster or maybe it could be a plink stirrer?? Either way I am sure we will manage without it.
    As for the combination locks we think some sort of jewelery would be a good use - may be an unusual pendant with matching earrings?? Something a little different for El Matador!!

    Looking forward to the next instalment,

    The D's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unburdening from the 'stuff' of our lives is very freeing! I remember the feeling 12 years ago when I moved to Plymouth. Alas, I have reburdened myself over the intervening years.
    W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having trouble saving this comment...just wrote one and it was lost...sigh...trying again..
    I have just read all of your blogs and was very entertained. You are so talented Joel. I think you should write a book. My cousin just completed her first book, "Once upon a Commune" which is an historical perspective on hipppie life in the northeast during the 70's. Whether we were hippies or not, her thought was that our generation would either be able to directly relate to or simply find the book interesting. I would envision your "work of art" to be one in which not only our generation could relate with but would laugh and smile from cover to cover. Just a thought...Luv, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel, you have got to save these pieces somehow as each would make a wonderful newspaper column. Your Andy Looney comment is your subconscious clue that you need to keep these for later use.
    And by the way, if in your cleaning out, you find the combination lock I lent you...please return it...and my George Foreman plastic grill scraper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joel,
    Keep the blogs coming! We love to read what you write!
    I too cleaned out a few drawers yesterday. Retirement means never having to teach again so there went years of materials, plans, and my creative "masterpieces". I only hope the trash collector can lift this barrel on Tues. morning.
    Love ya,
    L and L

    ReplyDelete
  6. have you ever heard George Carlin's diatribe about our Sh*t? google it. you won't be sorry.

    and, btw, you, writing, never ever event makes the top 20 "worst nightmare" list.

    love you
    jen

    ReplyDelete