Sunday, January 24, 2010

Preparations Underway: January/February 2010



Buoyed by the overwhelming approval and encouragement of thousands of fans who read my last blog, i have decided to create another one detailing my journey from Grantham, New Hampshire to Okaloosa Island, Florida. OK, fine, there really weren't thousands of fans, there were...two. And they didn't exactly encourage me, unless "You're not going to do another blog, are you?" is encouragement. Tough luck, I'm doing one anyway. Just try not reading this. It's impossible.

This journey can be measured in several different ways. In miles, it's about 2,000. (There's a major detour to Venice, Florida, in case you are checking the math). But, that is just a number. This is also a spiritual odyssey, one in which I leave behind my former life in New England and replace it with an unknown life on the Panhandle. My former life was wonderful: a happy and long marriage, two sons who made us proud, a daughter-in-law who is more of a daughter, twin grandchildren who may actually be cuter than yours, a lovely condo, a gorgeous lake and golf course, terrific friends both recent and vintage, even a retirement job that provided a lot of laughs.

...until October 1, 2009.

The sad events of that day paved the way for this journey. When I think about it, it's hard to determine what I am running away from and what I am running to. (Hobbling is more accurate.) I'm sure there is a little of both in the decision. If the events of October 1 started this journey on its way, then the events of Monday, January 18 rammed it into overdrive. On that day I happily accepted an offer made on my condo, which I had put on the market just two weeks before.

Upon accepting the offer my first thought was, "I'm homeless." I've never been homeless. I've been senseless, useless, pantless, shirtless, keyless, and faultless. Never homeless. When that occurred to me, I smiled, a little sadly. Ada used to tease me by calling me "The Planner." I hardly ever improvised; I took great pleasure in planning and anticipating all contingencies. I admit it was not a very exciting way to live...but in 41 years we were never late for anything!

That should count for something, shouldn't it?

So how much would Ada be laughing at the thought that when I pack up and leave for Florida on February 21, I have no idea where I will be living after March 31? Of course, true to my planner nature, I've already made contacts with local realtors and asked them to look for rentals on my behalf. A small dose of OCD is not always a bad thing.

The preparations for this Odyssey began when the condo was sold. The buyers wanted to move in by the end of February. I had to make a decision about every item in the condo: take it? sell it? store it? chuck it? donate it? bequeath it? burn it? fillet it? OK, those last two were not part of the decision process, but I was enjoying the rhythm of the sentence. It's my blog, remember?

What a great scenario for a planner!

I had been told initially that the buyers were interested in the furniture. I will be moving to a furnished place so this was good news. I wanted to take as little as possible with me. One thing this odyssey has taught me is that my "sentimental gene" is missing. I have discovered that I have little or no emotional attachment to "stuff." Even a beautiful hand-made table that Ada and I had bought in Boothbay, Maine about 40 years ago was just more stuff as far as I was concerned. I hope this deficiency doesn't make me a bad person, but it's all just furniture to me. Of course I do have an emotional attachment to the thousands of pictures, personal knickknacks, and memory-specific items that adorn this place. Wherever I live, I want to be able to look at pictures of Ada, Josh, Matt, Cindy, Sam, Sara, and the Grantham Pizza Chef. This is where my heart resides. I also need to be surrounded by as much Red Sox merchandise as possible. As they say, "You can take the boy out of Dorchester..."

A couple of days ago I was informed by the realtor that the new occupants no longer wanted to buy the furniture. I started asking around about auction/estate people and was told about a man from Bradford, VT who will come in, quickly assess the contents and offer me a sum. He will also clean out the condo of ALL UNWANTED CONTENTS. That was music to my ears. He showed up on schedule, we agreed upon a sum and he's scheduled to "clean me out" on Saturday, Feb 20. I guess it's kind of a condo colonoscopy.

...A perfect image on which to say goodbye for now. Check back in a couple of weeks for the departure.

Much love,
J

17 comments:

  1. Joel,
    You are amazing!! I think you are doing a wonderful thing and let me say Florida welcomes you with open arms! It is interesting how life happens and how one can help make it happen. Carry on......... Looking forward to your blog entries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Joel,
    Nice going with the blog and the moving arrangements. We're going to be following you all along the way.
    Be well. Love you!
    Dee and bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel - I think this is a great! We will be watching your blog as your adventure continues! Safe travel and "no snow".
    Vicki & Linc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel, you are such a boring, humorless and cold hearted writer; what ever gave you the idea that anyone would want to read your drivel and look at your crappy photos.
    You are also a sucky teacher, father, friend and golfer... and I miss you like hell.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your humorous, moving account of life events, Joel. You won't become one of those, "I'm about to sort my underwear" social networkers", will you? I know you'll land on your feet, fins, water skis, wherever you end up. Have a peaceful, exhilirating journey, friend. Love, JW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing you, I'd say this should be called "His Odd-Yssey." and the motto? Expect the surreal.

    Much much much love.
    xoxoxoxx
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy H. forwarded me the link for your Asheville blog which I enjoyed reading. Hope you don't mind if I follow you to Florida, too :-))

    Karen Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to the next installment. How many of us would love to do this...just pick up and leave and start a new life. My problem is realizing that you won't be close by. Eastman is better for having you in their community. I used to go to a religious camp on Star Island and their motto was "you will come back". I'm sure you will come back whether it is for one day, week, or more. I look forward to that time. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joel,

    Get a place with an extra bedroom and Lorraine and I will come visit for a few months, maybe longer.

    Miss you!

    Best wishes. You are amazing!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try to keep us from reading your bloody blog!!! It is completely "you" in all respects. You always have had a gift for friendship and for writing. Golf may be another matter. Hope you can be called upon for bad doggerel even from Florida. BJ/BL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joel,
    I knew years ago you would turn out to be a "Panhandler"; maybe it was the "Will play Golf for food" sign, or the "Buddy, can you spare a ballmarker" tee shirt. You should do well in Florida, "Darwin's waiting room". Look forward to being with you on Feb 24...and don't forget, I "hosied" the coffee table!!!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joel your blog has potential best seller written all over. Who knows maybe a spot in the book section of the Sunday Times. It's fun to read and must say I'm feeling a little anxiety about what's next. You've always been one of my favorite cousins along with Marvin, Elaine, Margie, David, Barbara and Steven. Hopefuly we'll reunite in the future, but if not I wanted you to knoow I've always considered you a voice of reason, level headed and maybe a few pounds over weight. What great memories of all of us growing up from Roxbury to Dorchester and Nantasket. Thinking back Joel...How lucky can you get?
    Phill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joel, Mr. Blog, Homer,
    Good luck and good journey. Kathleen and I wish you the best, warm weather, good golf, and
    an additional group of new friends.(no problem)
    My mother often told me, "Nothing good happens after midnight." She never stayed up after 11pm.
    Bob Willett

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog and love you! We will follow you and enjoy your wonderful writing.

    hugs
    Bev and Will

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Joel...your have another reader reeled in. I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to the next installment. I'll have to count it along as one of my guilty pleasures, right up there with "The Real Housewives of Orange County"..only way betta!...you are amazing..the same smart funny kid I knew in Nantasket...Sweet..

    All good wishes,
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joel,
    Whatever you do, where ever this road takes you...you will be great! I need not remind you that you were once able to fill a dingy (ok, it was motorized...sort of) with 4 adults, 4 kids and enough alcohol to last a week, successfully. That shows how resourceful you are...remember that in your OCD moments...
    love you, xoxo

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Love Love It. I hope you can see yourself clear to stop at for a grest meal' agood nights sleep and some of the best stories.
    back to Roxbury.
    Phill Lewis

    ReplyDelete